Saturday, March 3, 2007

More quotes

Since I've quoted Presidents, statesmen and other historical figures previously, I thought it might be interesting to see what others might have to say about freedom, politics and government. I have excerpts from song lyrics below, some of which may not refer specifically to the topic at hand, but they sure sound like they could.

The band Living Colour wrote this specifically about the corruption found in government:

Neon lights, a Nobel Prize.
The mirror speaks, the reflection lies.
You don't have to follow me.
Only you can set you free.
I sell the things you need to be.
I'm the smiling face on your T.V.
I'm the Cult of Personality.
I exploit you, you still you love me.

Rush sang the following about the abuses that led the French to rise up on the first Bastille Day:

There's no bread, let them eat cake.
There's no end to what they'll take.
Flaunt the fruits of noble birth,
Wash the salt into the earth...

Lessons taught but never learned.
All around us anger burns.
Guide the future by the past.
Long ago the mould was cast.

Also from Rush, about a young man who stands up to the status quo:

Though his mind is not for rent,
Don't put him down as arrogant.
Always hopeful, yet discontent,
He knows changes aren't permanent.

Tears for Fears' song "Shout" speaks for itself:

In violent times, you shouldn't have to sell your soul.
In black and white, they really really ought to know.
Those one track minds that took you for a working boy.
Kiss them goodbye, you shouldn't have to jump for joy.
You shouldn't have to jump for joy.

Firehouse's "Don't Treat Me Bad" sounds like a complaint many Rochester Democrats might have about the behavior of the Town Board:

I never thought you'd hurt me.
I guess you live and learn,
When you're playin' with fire
You're bound to get burned.
I've been mistreated,
I've been used before.
I get kicked in the face,
Still I come back for more.

Rocker Sammy Hagar talks about the nature of our rights when he asks a most burning question:

How can you take away
What you did not create?
Beyond the power of the conscience,
Beyond the power of the state.
Tell me who, who has the right?
Well, no one has the right.

Classic rock icons Deep Purple might well have been telling the Town Board that Public Comment is about us being heard, not the Board's ability to respond, when they declared:

It doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong,
It really doesn't mean a thing.
It doesn't matter if you like my song,
As long as you can hear me sing!

And, of course, no collection of freedom lyrics would be complete without Governor Schwarzenneger's campaign fight song, "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister:

We've got the right to choose it.
There ain't no way we'll lose it.
This is our life, this is our song.
We'll fight the powers that be, just
Don't pick our destiny, 'cause
You don't know us, you don't belong.

Oh, you're so condescending.
Your gall is never ending.
We don't want nothin', not a thing from you.
Your life is trite and jaded,
Boring and confiscative.
If that's your best, your best won't do!

We're right!
We're free!
We'll fight!
You'll see!

No comments: